Monday 8 June 2009

Project 52 ... 9

This is Neil. Neil likes his cars. A lot.
.

D200, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, SB 800 CTO gel camera left


This was a fun shot to take. In February, the weather wasn't exactly clement and the sky a dull cloudy grey. I set the camera's white balance to tungsten which threw the sky blue and then aimed the SB 800 at Neil's face. I gelled it with a 1/2 CTO (colour temperature orange) gel, put a gridspot on top of it and illuminated just his face. It was a bit precarious as I was crouching down, handholding the flash at the maximum reach of my left arm, while taking the shot. In this case the flash was connected to the D200 by an SC-17 cable. I also dropped the ambient exposure about a stop or so to add a bit of drama. We turned on the headlights to give a bit of definition to the front of the car.

Again, this was a quick shot. I had pre-visualised what I wanted to achieve and it was just a matter of checking as I went along. As with most of the Project 52 shots, the camera was set to manual at about 1/250th, which is the max sync speed of the Nikon D200 when using the flash.

As the days get longer it will be interesting to see if I use less flash and more ambient.

No comments:

Post a Comment