Thursday 24 December 2009

Project 52 ... 45

This is Paul...
.

D200, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, SB800 from camera right...
.
Paul is my Brother-in-Law. A great dad and a good husband; a nicer man you could not meet. We shared a house many years ago when we were first starting out in work. Good memories, the best of which ;

'I've fallen and I can't get up... but I'm alright now...'.

You had to be there!

I took Paul a bit by surpirse with this portrait. The flash was on-camera (I know, cheat, I hear you say...!). I am not a fan of on-camera flash; people end up looking flat and washed out. Paul doesn't. The reason is I bounced the flash off an adjacent wall, that in itself would have made solme difference, but some of the flash light would have gone straight onto Paul, which I didn't want. So I placed a gobo, a black piece foam, velcroed to the flash that directed all the light where I wanted it to go. It had the added benefit of not blinding Paul when I took the shot. Great for parties, it looks like directional light... which it is. So much better than on-camera flash.

Thanks Paul for a great photo.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Noel,

    Great shot & technique using on camera flash.
    Really looking forward to seeing the end result of Project 52.

    Keep at it, and see you soon,
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. great picture,very well taken.
    seems as if he's in the room with me

    ReplyDelete