Thursday 7 October 2010

Cathriona & Gareth

Cathriona and Gareth are a pair of wonderful newly weds! We had the great privilege of being at their wedding a few weeks ago. And what a great weekend it was; the whole family converged on an unsuspecting Hotel in the village of Ashbourne outside Dublin. It was an excellent and very special weekend.What made this extra special for Catherine and myself was that Cathriona was our Flower Girl when we got married all those years ago!
.
Cathriona
.
This is a photograph I took of Cathriona when she must have been about 7. She knew how to strike a pose even then! 

From one flower girl to the next... I managed to grab a shot of Cathriona and Gareth's Flower Girl...
.
 Cathriona's Flower Girl
.
I waited for as long as I could just behind the bustling crowd, but the little girl never looked around!
.

The First Dance
.
I was delighted to be able to get a shot of the Happy Couple as they took to the floor. It was a bit of a rush as I was in guest mode, not photographer mode! But I hurriedly set up a couple of wireless triggered flash guns on opposite side of Cathriona and Gareth on VAL's (voice activated lightstands - Katy and Catherine) and shot away... A bit of a tricky shot as the background was a bit cluttered and I was waiting for the right moment to shoot and ... you get the picture.
.
I wanted to do something a bit different for the cutting of the cake. So I tried an unusual and something of a fun shot.
.

Cutting The Cake
.
I guess it the same the world over, but if you ever find yourself at an Irish wedding you will be amazed at the amount of people taking photographs and how long the party goes on for... but that's another story altogether! I have no idea who owns these hands or this Canon camera, but it was in the right place at the right time for me. A big thanks there!
.

A Romantic Moment
.

Mr. and Mrs.
.
We all enjoyed ourselves immensely; but the weekend had to end. I had tried to grab the Mr and Mrs all through the weekend, finally within an hour of everyone leaving and saying their good bye's, I had my chance. Having stayed in the hotel, I had done a bit of a recce; the stairs and the balcony were the obvious choice. They may have been obvious, but that didn't bother me; I would rather get an obvious shot good, than a complicated one just okay.

I just want to say a huge congratulation to Cathriona and Gareth and a very big thank you for allowing us to be a part of it. The great thing about weekend weddings is that the party lasts all weekend. And because it does, it gets remembered differently; everyone has a different story to tell; a smile here, a laugh there, the odd tear or two. It is a wonderful thing witnessing the start of a marriage.

The photographer on the day was Jenny McCarthy, a Dublin based wedding and portrait photographer. I just had a quick chat with Jenny as she was working! She and her colleague Barbara were excellent at their job and got their shots without being intrusive. I am looking forward to seeing her shots (especially the one you took with Cathriona and myself...!). Her work can be seen here.

Now who is going to get married next...?

No comments:

Post a Comment